Re: seperate xfree project on sourceforge

On Tue, Nov 20, 2001 at 06:49:40AM +1100, Matthew Donald wrote:
> [...]

As long as any proprietary libraries that are linked into the end
product are common to the OS (i.e., Windows) and the sources are
available for everything else, you should be ok.  If this requires
additional libraries that are not part of the OS, then you can't
do this.  For some reason, I thought this was the case here.  Apparently
I was mistaken.

>>>Rasjid Wilcox had a very similar idea to winfree86 named winxterm (see
>>>http://lasp.sourceforge.net/winxterm/ ).  He has already produced a
>>>minimal cygwin + xfree of about 4mb.  If we can integrate the two
>>>projects winfree86 (or whatever its called) will be available much
>>>sooner.
>>
>>This sounds like YA ill-conceived fork.  And, oh joy, oh rapture, it is
>>also YA GPL violation.
>>
>>I've Cc'ed Rasjid.  Rasjid -- you need to provide the sources for the
>>binary packages that you are providing, in compliance with the GPL.
>>Just providing a link to cygwin.com is not sufficient.
>
>Yes the source code will be made available.
>
>Please keep your flames to yourself.  Don't you have real problems to
>worry about?

I worry about people providing old versions of cygwin, which you will
be doing.

I also worry about people not adequately understanding the GPL.

You apparently think that I should just "trust" you but experience
has shown that you can't trust anyone to understand the GPL.

cgf