RE: Newbie needs help opening browser window.

It is because you setup XDMCP at UNIX box and most UNIX boxes do this by
default when you install OS.  From Cygwin/Xfree you only use to connect.

> >What is your remote shell?  CSH or BASH.  If it is
> >bash then you need
> >
> >export DISPLAY=your_windows_ip_address:0.0
>
> I am using bash and this is exactly how I am setting
> the DISPLAY variable. It's not working. Netscape sits
> there as a background job but never comes up on my
> XWin? Very wierd.

Are you at a remote machine which is behind the firewall or maybe on another
premisses?  That might explain the hangs and lags.

Suhaib