Re: Status of "seamless" integration?

Ian Burrell wrote:

> Michel Bardiaux wrote:
> >
> > Aye, there's the rub. When the X application pops up a menu, it must
> > grab the keyboard and the *whole* screen. In other words, a "system
> > modal" window is required, which means one can't use an internal WM but
> > must use MS-Windows as WM - while still being responsive to ICCM.
> >

> Does the menu need to be truly modal on the Windows side? The menu
> window has the focus so it will get keyboard events. It can be modal
> with respect to all the other X server-owned windows. It is harder to
> make it modal relative to Windows.

But one *has* to. Otherwise the "feel" of menus would be wrong (you
could click in some parts of the screen without dismissing the menu).

> Just to make sure we are using the same terms, what I mean by an
> internal window manager one running inside the X server. I am taking my
> cue from the eXcursion2 design document. Windows is generating the move,
> resize, etc events. The window manager hooks into the X server Windows
> event loop and handles window state events. The internal window manager
> should act as proper window manager which presumably means talking to
> the server.
>
> The other way I can see to handle a rootless X server is with a separate
> X client window manager. For each root-level X window, there is a
> corresponding Windows window. But without any frame at all. The window
> manager draws the frame

It would have to know the appropriate MS-Windows look. Because IMHO
"seamless" means that you *don't* have to know whether a window is X or
'true MS-Windows'.

> and handles moving, resizing, and all that.

Wouldn't that be very inefficient; and also prevent things like outline
move/resize?

> The
> X server is responsible of moving the Windows window.
>
> Does any of this make sense?

Perfect sense.

>   - Ian
> --
> iburrell@stanfordalumni.org
> http://www.znark.com/

HaND
--
Michel Bardiaux
Peaktime Belgium S.A.  Bd. du Souverain, 191  B-1160 Bruxelles