RE: rootless mode

Hi Rob,

>> One Win32 window per top-level X windows isn't an
>> optimization... it's just necessary.  A top-level window is
>> like a Windows window with a blue border... any other window
>> could be a button or a scrollbar, etc.  We certainly don't
>> want to create a Win32 window for each of those (just picture
>> an X window with a bounding Win32 window and a Win32 window
>> for each button it has... won't work).
>
>Actually Win32 uses CreateWindow to create all the buttons and
>scrollbars you see in (say) outlook or wordpad. Based on that I see
>little or no reason it shouldn't work. However, I imagine that only
>top-level windows will need to show on the task bar. Anyway, my first
>goal is simply proof of concept - the native engine rendering into each
>window based on picking up the pWin from GetWindowLong. What is a good
>way to detect top-lvel X windows given a WindowPtr (so I can test this
>rather than being stubborn :}).
>
>The top level windows I'm creating have no win32 decoration - no close
>button etc. That's a window manager consideration and one of the pdfs
>you've gather documents a good way to handle that.

please keep also in mind, that the decoration of a window in X is coming
from the X Window Manager. Windows always counts the border as part ot the
Window itself. If you try to use native Windows controls for the X controls
you may run here in major sizing prtoblems.  Even for the top-level windows
you may always keep the inner window size of the Windows based window in
sync with the X size.

I've developed and maintained for some years a cross-platform C++-GUI lib
(Win16/Win32/OS2/Motif), so I know what I am talking about. Please don't get
me wrong. I don't wanna tell you, what you should prove with your concept. I
just want to give you a hint where some major problems will arise ;-)

Regards,
Jorg