Re: Xfree and OpenGL

On Tue, Apr 09, 2002 at 05:07:27PM +0200, David Komanek wrote:
> Dear Alan,
>
> thanks for your comments/advices. I tried glxgears and it works. The gears
> are not rotating fluent enough on my 800MHz pentium, but I don't expect
> this is related to my problem.
>
> I am able to start xterm, swmgr, toolchest connecting to SGI 6.5.14 box
> which probably use classical X11 and Motif library only. Trying to start
> i.e. "jot", it claims:
>
> dgl error (protocol): remote machine not DGL capable - meda:10.0
> dgl error (default init): default dglopen(meda:10.0,4) returned -13

Cygwin/XFree86 doesn't have the DGL extension. If you do an 'xdpyinfo'
on your SGI box, you'll probably see it.

I suspect you won't be able to get this app working on anything but
SGI boxes.

> Connecting to another box, running IRIX 6.2, it is even worse - swmgr
> shows only the first "Wait please ...." window and then you can wait for
> hours and the main window does not appear. In the xterm you can see
> following message:
>
> WARNING: Not all colors for application icons could be allocated.  Some
> interface elements may have different colors.
> Warning: creating new shape image
>
> Jot coredumps, many others too.
> Toolchest starts fine, but no apps called invoked from its menus.
>
> When I run this apps on the local graphics console of an SGI box, it works
> fine.
>
> Well, this problem is not connection type related (both ssh and
> telnet+xhost produce same results). Probably should I install something on
> the SGI boxes to translate DGL requests into the X11 protocol (rendered on
> the server side, but at least working) ?

How many colours is your Windows screen set up in ?

Try changing the depth to 24bit (i.e. 16million colours)

Alan.