Re: Window Manager Performance...

On Wed, 10 Apr 2002, Thomas Chadwick wrote:

> I find it surprising that the additional communications overhead of running
> the window manager remotely is more than made up for by the fact that it's
> running in a "native" unix environment (vs. cygwin).

There is no additional communication overhead. You have to send the data
packets from the Xserver to the windowmanager anyway. You might notice
a lag with very slow network connections (<10MBit, maybe <64kBit), but
ethernet is fast enough to transport simple X communication.
X11 was developed when 10MBit was a high-end connection.

On the other hand, you now have parallel processing. Machine A encodes
the protocol and machine B decodes it. Its faster than machine A en- and
decodes.

bye
	ago
 http://www.gotti.org           ICQ: 126018723
 phone: +49 3725 349 80 80	mobile: +49 172 7854017