Problem: extreme speed difference NT4 <> Win98SE runing Xfree

Hello.

I have one question about speed issues concerning different "Host"
operating systems of the cygwin environment.

Here at work I am using cygwin with the latest X11 binaries on an 800
MHz PIII and an Nvideo Vanta Graphics adaptor. X11 is quite usable with
this setup although the speed loss compared to LinuX on this machine
(even when "just" displaying softawre from our server) is high. But
nothing to complain here.

But with the same configuration of Cygwin and X11 (this one was updated
5 days ago) on my 800 MHz Athlon at home (freshly intalled 6 days ago,
ATI Graphics) X11 is almost unsable (e.g. I can type almost faster than
nedit can diplays it).

The main difference is that the slow system has Win98SE installed. Oh
yes - there is also a difference in RAM: this machine has 512 MB, the
slower one at home "only" has 256 MB which I would assume should suffice...

What is interesting though is, that when I use the demo version of MiX
(Micro Images X Server) I get the same performance as with the NT
machine, while on the NT box MiX and X11 running on Cygwin perform
almost the same.

So now the question: is that a known issue or have I made a mistake when
instlling the system?

Regards,

Uwe