RE: How do I run it?

Perry,

> The path I followed is:
>
> Start at http://www.cygwin.com/
>
> Follow the XFree86 link (16th entry in the gray box on the left) to
> http://cygwin.com/xfree/
>
> Follow the Frequently Asked Questions link (15th entry in the gray box
> on the left) to http://xfree86.cygwin.com/docs/faq/
>
> Download the .TXT format;
> Also follow the link to http://xfree86.cygwin.com/faq.html

That won't happen again.  I removed the link to the old FAQ.  Let me tell
you, it is giving you false hope.

[To others who are helping answer this question - stop talking about how to
set your path, etc.  The real problem here is that the user was unable to
find the installation instructions that have already been prepared.]

You *have* to follow the step-by-step installation instructions in the
Cygwin/XFree86 User's Guide or we cannot help you:
http://xfree86.cygwin.com/docs/ug/

The User's Guide tells you how to install Cygwin/XFree86, including the
startup batch files and shell scripts.  I can guarantee that you will not be
successful in installing Cygwin/XFree86 until you follow those instructions.

I recommend that you revert all PATH changes that were made in your
autoexec.bat or through the environment settings in Windows.  The
startxwin.bat and startxwin.sh scripts automatically set the path to what it
needs to be.  Much time was spent on those scripts to save users from having
to mess with the path statements themselves.

Good luck,