Re: Problem: extreme speed difference NT4 <> Win98SE runing Xfree

On Tue, 16 Apr 2002, Uwe Schmidtmann wrote:
> But with the same configuration of Cygwin and X11 (this one was updated
> 5 days ago) on my 800 MHz Athlon at home (freshly intalled 6 days ago,
> ATI Graphics) X11 is almost unsable (e.g. I can type almost faster than
> nedit can diplays it).
>
> The main difference is that the slow system has Win98SE installed. Oh
> yes - there is also a difference in RAM: this machine has 512 MB, the
> slower one at home "only" has 256 MB which I would assume should suffice...

I don't see this speed difference. I type this on a P466 Celeron Win98SE
with a remote KDE session via xdm on a RH7.1 (and I can type very fast).
We have different Windows NT,98,2000 and on all XFree performs quite well.
Did found some speed impacts caused by Norton AV on W2k and ZoneAlert on
W98. Seems that processes watching network traffic slows down Windows
dramatically.

Regards,

Koos Vriezen