RE: How do I run it?

Finally getting back to this after a very busy week.

> http://xfree86.cygwin.com/docs/ug/
>
> The User's Guide tells you how to install Cygwin/XFree86, including the
> startup batch files and shell scripts.  I can guarantee that you will not be
> successful in installing Cygwin/XFree86 until you follow those instructions.

Got it.  It turns out I had muddled through steps 1-5, but not 6-8.

I have now extracted the startup scripts, and subsequently tried all
3 startup methods from Chapter 4, without success.  There seems to be
some kind of problem in getting the X server to start.

startxwin.bat in a command window says

    startxwin.bat - Starting on Windows 95/98/Me

then a window titled xterm appears.  After a few seconds a window
titled twm appears, then both close.  After a few more seconds this
appears in the command window, followed by the command prompt:

    /USR/X11R6/BIN/XSETROOT: unable to open display '127.0.0.1:0.0'

startxwin.sh in a bash window says

    X connection to 127.0.0.1:0.0 broken (explicit kill or server shutdown).

and the prompt appears, followed a few seconds later by this message:

    xterm Xt error: Can't open display: 127.0.0.1:0.0

startx in a bash window says

    xinit: not found