Re: XDMCP client using Cygwin/Xfree86

On Wed, 24 Apr 2002, Jeremy Wilkins wrote:

> 1) XWin insists on the existance of a /tmp/.X11-unix folder, are there any
> commandline options, or compile options I can use to change this (so I can
> put it in %TEMP%/.X11-unix).

Can't remember having seen such a feature. AFAIR, the server code (at
least the xkb part) writes all temporary files to /tmp. But you can
configure this at compiletime.

> 2) The keyboard is always set to US. I've not managed to use the command
> line option to change the keyboard layout, could someone please explain this
> (where are the xmodmap files I should be using). Once I can do this, I can
> make the frontend detect the windows keyboard layout and set Xwin
> accordingly. At the moment XKeyboard extension is disabled because xkbcomp,
> etc isn't available.

It think -xkbmap does this. But I'm not sure.
The option requires one parameter which is a file in /tmp. Either this
was a compiled keympa file as produced by xkbcomp or the description needed
as input for xkbcomp (I can't verify this since I have no system at hand
where I can test this, but I guess it was the first one)

> Finally could someone please clarify where I stand on licenses, what license
> is Cygwin under, what is cygwin/xfree86 under, can I put my frontend under
> GPL without conflicting with the other components.
>
> http://www.jeremywilkins.freeserve.co.uk/extend/index.html

I'm not a lawyer but taken into account what software projects exist, GPL
should be ok.

- A lot of GPL programs use X11 (eg. Gnome)
- A lot of GPL programs use cygwin

These examples don't prove that its legal, but I doubt its illegal. The
best is to wait for other responses.

bye
	ago
 http://www.gotti.org           ICQ: 126018723
 phone: +49 3725 349 80 80	mobile: +49 172 7854017