RE: MIT shared memory extension

> > It works, we have done so for the kde-cygwin port
>

> Yeah, but it requires CygIPC, doesn't it?

Yes, which is not distributed with cygwin because of license problems,.. the old
story ...
and I know, about what you like to talk - the new cygwin daemon, isn't it ? :-)

> BTW, has anybody tried to run kde-cygwin using the new cygwin-daemon to
> provide the IPC services?

No, we haven't yet. I have already thought about using the cygwin daemon, but
currently there are some reason why this isnt't happened.
The first reason is, I don't know how stable and performant the cygwin ipc stuff
works. I have thought about checking this, but found no time to do so. Perhaps I
found some time after the kde 2.2.2 b1 release day next week.

The second reason is, that it does not make sense to compile kde-cygwin with the
cygwin daemon and use cygipc for xfree.
The consequence of this seems to me to compile xfree with cygwin daemon too, but
I does not have the knowledge and time to do this job. (I don't like to say that
the xfree guys has to do so, only that I can't)

> subset of the three main IPC mechanisms (semaphores, messages. shared
> memory) -- but I don't remember if shm was part of that subset...

If I remember right, it has.

> Anyway, even if the cygwin-daemon DOES provide the necessary IPC
> features, you'd probably need to recompile kde-cygwin against it instead
> of CygIPC.

Yes, this is sure.

> --Chuck
>
> the cygwin-daemon code was recently merged into CVS; the snapshots have
> the functionality but the daemon itself is not "turned on" by default.
> Just like ipcdaemon.exe, you have to start up the cygwin-daemon
> yourself.  For more info, see the cygwin-developers mailing list archives.

Thanks for this info

Ralf