RE: Best place for WindowMaker, Openbox, etc.?

Harold Hunt wrote:
> Hmm... the problem I'm running into with fvwm95 is that I can't do a build
> from a directory other than the source root

Probably true. I didn't look into it more than being able to
compile and run from the source directory. IIRC, I still got
a number of warnings about DLL auto-imports and the like. I
didn't even try changing the prefix from /usr/local. (I'm no
autotools expert, either.)

I was building from a complete Cygwin installation--with all
of the tools kept current but without extension libraries/etc.
from other sources.

BTW, WindowMaker exits with a SEGV on our systems. I haven't
looked into it, but verified the problem on multiple systems
so it's not isolated to my machine (all IBM laptops running
Win2K/Cygwin, though). In all cases, wmaker begins to run and
starts creating icons, etc., then throws up a screen reporting
that it received a signal 11. I haven't had time to look into
it yet. (I got similar behavior from X11 GVIM until I rebuilt
it specifically excluding GTK, although that's probably just
a coincidence.) The other window managers in the Cygwin dist
(openbox, twm) run fine. Fvwm95 seems to work, but I haven't
really been using it (before I put much effort into tweaking
it, I'd like to check out some other window managers).

-Jerry

-O Gerald S. Williams, 55A-134A-E   : mailto:gsw@agere.com O-
-O AGERE SYSTEMS, 6755 SNOWDRIFT RD : office:610-712-8661  O-
-O ALLENTOWN, PA, USA 18106-9353    : mobile:908-672-7592  O-