Re: Texteroids (Minor Retraction)

--- Alan Hourihane <alanh@fairlite.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> Huh ?
>
> libdps in the XFree86 CVS does not depend on "strict motif" at all,
> in fact it has no dependencies on motif, lesstif or anything 'tif.
> It all builds straight from the CVS - all open source.
Yes you are right for the core library, but some additional widgets
included in addon library require motif:

The source code for libdpstkXm is included with XFree86; however, as it
depends on Motif, this library is not built by default.

Sorry for the confusion.

> There is no DPS extension in XFree86 CVS either. Like I said the 4.1.0
> RELNOTES are wrong. Although, yes, http://dps.sourceforge.net provides
> an initial extension for XFree86. But that isn't included in our
> baseline tree.
So the release notes are wrong, I wrote this letter before I received your
clarification on that...

> What are you ranting about the Open Group for here ???
>
> You seem to have really gone off at a tangent.

Why am I ranting?  Because it is highly annoying that they have forbidden
using "OpenMotif" on Cygwin/XFree86 when they know full well that
Cygwin/XFree86 is NOT Microsoft Windows, but a platform of its own that
happens to run on top of MS Windows.  In any event, if you followed the
list, some other porting projects have been hindered by the lack of
OpenMotif or full Lesstif->Motif compatibility.  As I said you can
disagree, but it is relevant to the project.  I mean pressure needs to be
put on the so-called "Open Group" to change that policy.

Cheers,
Nicholas