Re: Trivial Feature Request: beep()

Brian,

> Well, echo a ^G doesn't DTRT.  Neither does "echo -e \\a".  I've got a
> GTK+ application (running on another machine and displayed locally)
> which beeps just fine elsewhere, but not under xfree/cygwin.

Okay.  Do you have a sound-card or just a pc speaker on the machine that you
use Cygwin/XFree86 on?

If you've got a sound card and you have your Windows sounds configured so that
no sound is played for the Default Beep, then you certainly won't here
anything.  Go into the Control Panel->Sounds and check that you have a sound
configured.  Click the play button and make sure that you hear the sound when
it is played.  Then run Cygwin/XFree86 and confirm that you do not hear the sound.

I just did a test on a machine running Windows NT 4.0 without a sound card.
"echo -c \\a" caused a pc speaker beep from both a Cygwin bash shell and from
an xterm under Cygwin/XFree86.  The two beeps were of a different pitch
though... weird.

Let us know your results,