RE: Cut down xfree server for XDMCP only

Thanks for the replies.

The idea is to end up with an X server that is small and easy to use.
I'd like to use the existing cygwin setup.exe, as it is very nice, but I
don't want to end up with a full cygwin setup.
Basically I'm after something like X-Win32, MI/x, or WinaXe, but based
on cygwin-xfree, so is free and works well. If you want to use XDMCP to
connect to a unix server only, you don't need a full cygwin install.

On Sat, 2002-06-15 at 20:17, Robert Collins wrote:

> You will also need to:
> * Change the shared segment name, or you will break existing installs at
> runtime.
> * Change the dll name, as the install you are proposing is not
> compatible with the cygwin net distribution.
> * Recompile *everything* to use the new .dll name.

"Everything" would involve the cygwin dll, the couple of libraries used
and the XFree server binary correct?

People already running cygwin won't need this distribution. I will
modify our launcher program soon so it will launch X on an already
existing cygwin setup. (What this launcher program does is give a dialog
box to let the user select various settings for the XWin binary, then
creates a .bat file which launches it).

The distribution I am proposing would only be for use for people who
didn't want a full cygwin-xfree setup.

Cheers,

Tim.