Re: Alt GR/XFree86/Cygwin

--- Laurent Marzullo <marzullo@la-defense.oilfield.slb.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I use a Belgian Keyboard. And I would like to be able to use
> key that could only be obtain when pressing 'Alt_R' key.

Well, Thomas C. introduced me to xmodmap the other day to solve my
NumLock problem, so I thought that might help you too. I did this:

xmodmap -e "clear mod1" -e "clear mod4" -e "add mod1 = Alt_L" -e "add
mod4 = Alt_R"

which makes Alt_R a different modifier than Alt_L.

You'll have to read your WM or app documentation to determine how to
set bindings to mod4. In fvwm2 I tested it like this:

# Alt_L + 4 will open Banner, Alt_R + 7 will open WinList
Key KP_7 A 4 FvwmWinList
Key KP_4 A M FvwmBanner

Unfortunately there are lots of comments out there that say you should
not assume that mod1=meta, as I do above. (Of course I could also use
'1' instead of 'M' in the example above to avoid that.) If your app
doesn't let you bind to mod1-5 combinations, I dunno how to solve that.

HTH,
Kdt