Re: Can't remote connect to XF86 on Win2K

Hi Ago,

Thanks for your help and sorry to bug you some more - I think I'm
missing something here. I have a ~5 remote Sun Boxes on which I'd like
to pick the least busy and run some X clients. I'm sitting at a Win2k
box (mywinhost) on which I type 'Xwin.exe -indirect mysunhost'. The X
server starts up on mywinhost and on mysunhost it attempts to run an xdm
chooser to list the available suns that support XDMCP sessions. It fails
to connect to my Win2k server to display this (Works fine if I try the
same on Win98):

Xlib: connection to "mywinhost:0.0" refused by server
Xlib: Invalid MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 key
Error: Can't open display: mywinhost:0

So I don't even get to choose a machine to login to. This make it
difficult to get any information from the remote sun, especially X info
for a display I have not connected to yet.

I can't "generate" a key as I have to be connected to the X server to do
that. I can "add" a made up key, but I assume I would have to be root to
do that, since I've not been able to tell the Sun who I am yet. I want
users to be able to do this without my help though.

Seems to me that something is broken in my Win2k install as this works
like a charm on 98. Did I already mention that ;-)

Thanks again,
Nick.

On Mon, 2002-06-24 at 16:01, Alexander Gottwald wrote:
    On 24 Jun 2002, Nick THOMPSON wrote:

    >So it seems I have to get the
    > cookie correct. Unfortunately, your explaination lost me a little. Do I
    > have to generate a cookie,

    The cookie is generated by xdm. After you logged into your linux, sunos,
    or whatever unix you use, you already have the cookie in the unix session.
    Try "xauth list $DISPLAY" from a shell in the unix session.

    To connect from the windows host, set the cookie: "xauth add <the output of
    xauth list above>"

    >or should a cookie have been sent as part of the XDMCP connection?

    it is created by xdm (the login manager) and only know on the remote machine
    and by your xserver. None of the local xclients know this cookie and can
    connect.

    >Why would it work fine on Win95/98 and not Win2k?

    There should be no difference between 9x and NT