RE: xterm fails to start with "setuid failed: Permission denied"

> > Hi,
>
> I'm getting the same for xterm. My Cygwin / XFree86 installation from about
> three
> months ago was running fine, but when I upgraded it yesterday I get the same
> problem,
> at least when running as a domain user. Xterm works when I run it as the local
> administrator though.
>
> I also have problems with xcalc (window is filled with the "0" button), and
> xedit
> (displays the message "Error: Shell widget fileMenu has zero width and/or
> height"
> and doesn't start). This is both as domain user and local administrator
>
> This happens with both XFree86 and StaNet X-Win32 as X servers. Is there a
> problem
> with the client utilities build?

This is caused by a stricter uid/gid handling in cygwin 1.3.11. I've stumbled
about it and Corinna Vinschen told me to make sure, that for all user, who could
own files, which you like to access has to be a corresponding entry in
/etc/passwd.

See http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2002-06/msg01198.html for more informations.