RE: Progress? (again, please try a snapshot)

Chris,

> Does the log file contain any useful information, by any chance?

None.  Cygwin/XFree86 doesn't get an error, only xterm does.

> Do you think you could do a
>
> strace -ox:\somewhere\strace.out sh startxwin.sh , bzip2 strace.out,
> and send it to me?

I'll try to tomorrow.

> Just to be clear, this is just as simple as running the xserver and
> opening up an xterm, right?  Unfortunately, that works fine for me
> under 1.3.11 and the snapshot.  I am running on Windows XP.  Don't
> know why that would make a difference, though.

This problem doesn't happen on my home Windows 2000 machine, nor does it
happen on my NT Workstation 4.0 machine at work (though I haven't upgraded
cygwin1.dll in a week or more).  The problem only happens on a Windows 2000
machine that I use at work (which I just installed Cygwin on two days ago).
Both machines at work are members of a *domain* while my home machine is not
in a domain.  Also, I can only logon to both machines at work as a domain
user, as I have no local account and I don't have administrator priveleges
to create one (and it'd blow my cover if I told them I needed a local
account for debugging Cygwin/XFree86 :)

Yes, this is just as simple as running Cygwin/XFree86 with an xterm.  The
options to xterm do not affect the outcome.  The only message from xterm is
if you run 'xterm -hold', which keeps the xterm window open after the
command shell has exited.  In this case the error message, as previously
reported by others, is something like "setuid failed: Permission Denied".
This message comes from line 3814 in the main () function of xterm's main.c.
A link to xterm's main.c is here:

http://cvsweb.xfree86.org/cvsweb/xc/programs/xterm/main.c

Note: Cygwin/XFree86 hasn't updated any source files or build files since
the XFree86 4.2.0 release, except for the XWin.exe source code and binary.
In other words, this is obviously not something that we caused :(

Thanks for any help,