From: Harold Hunt
Sent: Saturday, April 13, 2002 7:44 PM
To: xf-devel
Subject: xc/lib/fontconfig/fonts.conf depends on existing fonts
installation

I don't understand why xc/lib/fontconfig/fonts.conf runs the script
xc/lib/fontconfig/findfonts which looks at the *currently installed fonts*.
That doesn't make any sense to me.  Shouldn't you be able to build XFree86
on a machine that doesn't have any fonts installed, or for that matter, any
piece of XFree86 installed?

The problem that I'm running into on Cygwin is that even if
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts exits but /usr/share/fonts doesn't exist then the
findfonts script fails because 'find' cannot find that directory.  I'm not
certain that this is a Cygwin only problem, but it is the only platform that
I am building on.

I propose that one of two things be done:

1) Do not execute the scripts that do things for *installed* fonts, as this
makes no sense.

2) Or, change the findfonts script to silently fail if either of the fonts
directories cannot be found, thus removing a non-error error from build
logs.

Please CC me, as I am not currently subscribed to the devel list.

A snippet of my build log follows.

Harold Hunt

make[1]: Leaving directory
`/home/Administrator/x-devel/build/std/lib/fontconfig
/fc-list'
rm -f fonts.conf
sh ./setfontdirs
find: /usr/share/fonts: No such file or directory
ed: not found
make: *** [fonts.conf] Error 127