Re: xfs (font server) crashes under cygwin. Anyone got it to work?

On Fri, Jul 05, 2002 at 11:57:55PM -0400, Christopher Faylor <cgf@redhat.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 06, 2002 at 01:17:13PM +1000, Greg Lane wrote:
> >Then I have tried pointing my font path to it (with xset fp= ...)
> >from a number of sources
> >
> >1) remote machine running freebsd
> >2) from cygwin x-server on the same machine
> >3) from XWinPro on the machine
>
> Can you send what, exactly, you are typing?  xset fp=...?
>
> cgf

xset fp= ...

where ... depended on where I was on the network at the time:

1) xset fp= tcp/192.168.96.2:7100
   xset fp= tcp/hostname.xxx.xxx:7100

2) xset fp= tcp/localhost:7100
   xset fp= tcp/127.0.0.1:7100
   xset fp= tcp/:7100

3) same as 2)

I've also tried various forms of xset +fp, xset fp+. I'm not
a complete novice with font servers, in fact I run a font server at
work (on FreeBSD) which everyone on our network uses. That is not to
say I mightn't be doing something stupid!

I have successfully pointed my cygwin X desktop at a remote
font server using the above strategies, but here is the output from the
two xterms when I tried to start xfs locally just a second ago:

$ xfs
xfs notice: listening on port 7100
Segmentation fault (core dumped)
jodie@TV ~
$ netstat -an | grep 7100
  TCP    0.0.0.0:7100           0.0.0.0:0              LISTENING

jodie@TV ~
$ xset fp= tcp/:7100
X Error of failed request:  86
  Major opcode of failed request:  51 (X_SetFontPath)
  Serial number of failed request:  7

I type xfs in one window and it gives the listening message.
I can check it is running and listening in another window with
netstat. Then I give the xset command and I get the seg fault
back in the original window.

Cheers,
Greg