Re: xfs (font server) crashes under cygwin. Anyone got it to work?

--- Greg Lane <gregory.lane@anu.edu.au> wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 06, 2002 at 05:01:52AM -0700, Nicholas Wourms
> <nwourms@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > Chris + Greg,
> >
> > Check your e-mail, I just e-mailed both you and greg an xfs.exe with
> > debugging symbols.  As for what version I'm running, it is the vanilla
> > version that comes via setup.exe, a.k.a XFree86-4.2.0 on Cygwin
> > 1.3.13-cygdaemon(special development branch).  Also, you might want to
> > check your /var/log/fs-errors, incase xfs output anything interesting
> > there.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Nicholas
> >

> G'day Nicholas,
>
> One of the first things I did was check /var/log/fs-errors only to
> find nothing there, however....
>
> I don't know about you, but the executable you sent works just
> fine for me! (So the debugging symbols are for nought, but making
> the executable was not in vain!!)

Excellent, I discovered the same thing.  My previous report was for the
original executable!  As for logging, that is quite irritating, someone
ought to look into that...

> I tried it on my laptop with XP, and on Win98 running under VMWare
> on FreeBSD. Worked fine on both.

Super!

> So I don't know what that portends. Can you give me a quick primer on
> building just xfs from source? Then I can build my own and see if that
> works. Possibly there might be a difference in the compilation process
> when you are running 1.3.13-cygdaemon compared to my "standard" 1.3.12.
> I know nothing about the build environment for the binary packages, but
> it might be interesting to see how it compiled on my machine rather
> than on yours to maybe narrow down the problem.
>
> I had a quick look and it looks to me like the only option via setup.exe
>
> if I want to make xfs is to download the full source for X. Is the
> source
> a special tree for cygwin or could I copy over the source I already have
> from the ports tree on my FreeBSD box? Is it then as simple as going to
> an
> xfs sub-directory and typing make?

Well, unfortunately I tried building just xfs directory of the XFree
source tree, but that doesn't work.  You'll have to follow the detailed
instructions harold provides in the cygwin contributors guide:

http://xfree86.cygwin.com/docs/cg/cygwin-xfree-cg.html

You can follow the debugging directions if you want a debug build.

You might want to set your cvs sticky tag to the xf-4_2-branch for the
checkout if you run into problems with HEAD.  If you do go this route, be
sure to unset the sticky tag in the /xc/programs/Xserver/hw/xwin
directory.  This way you'll get the latest Cygwin/XFree updates while
keeping the rest of the distribution stable.

> At least I know now that xfs can be made to work!! That means I will be
> able to implement some of the things our local users need. Just need to
> work out exactly why it sometimes fails.

Please feel free to contribute!  Patches are welcome!

Cheers,
Nicholas