Re: [packages] gtk+, glib, imlib

Lapo Luchini <lapo@lapo.it> said:

> >He has something.  Frankly, I think we should let harold release these
> >packages.  He's got a firm understanding of the underlying mechanics of
> >how X works.
> >
> That is indeed the best choice, maybe I read his message in a way too
> non-optimistic view =)

You read my message correctly the first time.  I do not have enough time to
work on glib and gtk+.  You are more than welcome to work on them.  I think
that Nicholas might want to work with you on them.

> >  Plus if you commit to maintainership of 1.X, then it is
> >assumed that you will be working on porting 2.X.  Are you ready for this
> >responsibility?
> >
> It's not a question of responsability, but of lack of knowledge and lack
> of time to obtain that knowledge ^_^
> But again, I don't have idea of how much hard would it be... I just seen
> the 20k patch to gtk+-1.2.10 by Steven and Corinna says that right now
> it compiles OOTB.
> OOTB is fairly different from "20k patch needed" IMHO, bay shortly after
> I received a message from Steven stating that his port is fairly old and
> many things changed (porting of autotools being the biggest, I bet)...

I would actually have the same problem with not having enough knowledge.  I am
sort of an interesting person though... I tend to gater, filter, and absorb
information/knowledge faster than most people, and I tend to do something
productive with that info quite quickly.  That is not to say, however, that I
have 10 to 20 hours to mess around with glib and gtk+.  :)

> >As for freeciv, I will send you a static lib of Xaw3d to see if that will
> >help you better.  I would then release free-civ as is.
> >
> >We can worry about why the DLL version of Xaw3d isn't working later.
> >
> OK.
>
> >  Again, is there any rush to getting it out?
> >
> No, just the fact that when I begin something I like to finish it soon
> so that it doesn't occupy space in my head (don't know how to express it
> in english but an "unfinished task" lingers in my head until it is "put
> at rest" by solving it).
> But again, also given the beauty of win32 native port (well, not that
> native, it uses gtk+), the is no rush in it.

I know precisely what you mean.  I even go a little further than that in that
I have a list of projects that I can't wait for other people to finish.
Recently, some of those projects were: Mozilla 1.0 (yay!), OpenOffice.org 1.0
(yippee!), The Big Dig (www.bigdig.com), the International Space Station (or
whatever the current space shuttle mission is), the parking garage across the
street, etc. :)  I love watching big projects and I love seeing them pass
milestones.  I guess I am just a freak for big projects... :)  Hey, this is
off-topic... nothing to see here.  Move along.  Move along.