Re: [packages] gtk+, glib, imlib

Charles Wilson <cwilson@ece.gatech.edu> said:

> Nicholas Wourms wrote:
>

> > So?  Your point?  I don't want to run linux on this machine.  My question
> > above was partially a joke and partially a rhetorical one.  I don't need
> > to be lectured on the joy and simplicity of the explorer interface (tho
> > neither seem to apply).  Let's not turn this into a Microsoft lovefest.
> > My point was that Rootless mode is a fluff setting, something that really
> > isn't that important.  Perhaps a better use of time could be spent
> > figuring out how to profile and improve the performance of the X server?
> > Or perhaps making truetype fonts easier for people to use in X?
>

> Nicholas --
>    There are lots of worthy areas why Xserv on cygwin can be improved.
> You have your priorities, other people have theirs.  Unfortunately, you
> ARE in the extreme minority, so you're going to have to sit back and
> watch rootless be discussed an implemented.  Probably before TT or
> profiling or ...
>
> Why?
>
> Go read the Slashdot thread from Sunday, 7 July 2002.  Almost every
> third message was "It's pretty good, but it doesn't have a rootless
> mode.  All commercial Xservs on windows have one; this won't be a
> [serious|real|usable|finished] product until it does, too."
>
> There was even one message that basically said "This thing sucks ***. It
> doesn't have a rootless mode".  Okay, so the guy was a troll, but nobody
> contradicted him...
>
> We even got two or three spill-over questions which were obviously
> stimulated by the Slashdot story, where folks we'd never heard of wrote
> to the mailing list to say "Cygwin Xserver is really cool, but I
> [won't|can't] use it until it has a rootless mode.  When will that be?"
>
> Finally, and most importantly, Harold *wants* to work on a rootless
> mode.  He's scratching his own itch.  If you want to work on TT support,
> nobody is stopping you. -- go scratch.  <g>
>
> --Chuck

Chuck,

Thanks for writing that response.  That was exactly what I was going to say:
someone complains about the lack of a rootless mode at least once a week, but
no one ever complains about truetype fonts or profiling the server.  I think
that the performance question that got turned into a profiling question is
really due to the way that we draw graphics, which we are working on fixing
with the Native GDI engine.  In any case, rootless mode is a top priority.