Re: Bug in startxwin.bat after installing with setup.exe in win98SE

Thomas Chadwick wrote:
I hate to jump into the middle of a religious argument (which this is turning out to be) but it seems to me that a plausible solution would be to urge the maintainers of the cygwin setup program to define a CYGWIN_ROOT environment variable for us. Cygwin setup is already putting stuff in the registry, isn't it, so why not this?

You could then modify the startxwin.bat and startxwin.sh scripts such that they don't attempt to assign CYGWIN_ROOT if it already has a value.
First, I'm not sure that making setup.exe aware of Xfree just because of the registry is a good idea.
As for adding an environment variable, then we could just modify the path to add the X11 path to it. Then we could get rid of the CYGWIN_ROOT altogether.
Last, I still think that a postinstall script to create the batch file is better (well that was my idea, I'm not going to give up on it easily :p)

Jehan