RE: Bug in startxwin.bat after installing with setup.exe in win98SE

--- Robert Collins <robert.collins@syncretize.net> wrote:

> [...]

Hey, you were the one who brought up debian...

> For now, try listening, not taking the conversation off on tangents. I
> happen to have put quite a bit of effort into the Cygwin Xfree86 project
> in the past, and continue to make various contributions as and when it's
> appropriate. I strongly resent your implying that I might dislike the
> presence of the cygwin-xfree86 community - which I am a member of!

I am listening...  I don't know where you got this one from, but I respect
your membership in the Cygwin/XFree86 community.

> The simple fact is, I disagree with your proposal, and you have made no
> convincing arguments to change my mind. What you are suggesting is not
> what 'most' windows installers do, it is not flexible, it is a step
> backwards in approach, and a proper solution is not that hard to do!

What you are suggesting is akin to Windows installers run batch files in
the background?  I don't think so, so why should we run shell scripts?  I
heard your point regarding the backend data-driven support, but lets be
serious, that kind of functionality is months away.  My proposal is a
short-term solution which provides the "easiest" way that people wanting
to install X can get going.  There is little harm in implimenting this
solution now, considiering that we are both working towards trying to
provide a better solution in the future.  Fine, how's this, I'll rip out
the specific references to cygwin.bat and instead have setup parse the ini
for what it should display in that last window and how many it should
display.  This is how installishield and others do it.  How's that for a
solution?

Cheers,
Nicholas

P.S. My damn keyboard is dying...  Also, do I need a debug version of
setup.exe from you or will you be satisified with output from the
non-debug version?