Re: Bug in startxwin.bat after installing with setup.exe in win98SE

--- Jehan <nahor@bravobrava.com> wrote:
> Nicholas Wourms wrote:
> > --- Jehan <nahor@bravobrava.com> wrote:

> >>you

> >>Well, I had this one for quite a while already.

> >>*much*

> >>this..
> >>
> >>That would be nice I agree. But for what I see on this mailing list,
> >>lots of people have problems with startxwin.sh (.xinitrc and
> .Xautorithy
> >>
> >>stuff) while very few people complain about startxwin.bat. So until we
>
> >>can have startxwin.sh to work as is for most people, I think it's
> better
> >>
> >>to stick with the batch file for now.
> >>

> > You are mistaking "startx" for "startxwin.sh".  startxwin.sh is
> basically
> > the same thing as startxwin.bat, but without all the nasty path
> > conversions and soforth.  Look again, it has nothing to do with
> .xinitrc
> > and .Xauthority.
>
> One would think so but no. I have an old .Xauthority from a linux
> account. If I use this one and run X with startxwin.sh, I get a bunch of

> Xlib: No protocol specified
> xsetroot:  unable to open display ':0.0'
>
> for each application I try to run.
> If I use an empty .Xauthority, then everything works fine. Well, not
> everything actually but at least I have xterm starting. I don't know
> what differs between the shell and the batch version of startxwin, but
> there is definitely something.
>
> 	Jehan

Well this is obviously a bug in X and needs to be fixed.  I dunno, maybe
I'm wrong, but it just seems a bit silly to have two identical scripts for
two different situations.  I'm of the camp that loves reusable code...

Cheers,
Nicholas