RE: Bug in startxwin.bat after installing with setup.exe in win98SE

Actually, I brought up the technique dpkg uses to address the same
issue. But I can understand that being misinterpreted.

> I am listening...  I don't know where you got this one from,
> but I respect
> your membership in the Cygwin/XFree86 community.

>From the "Like it or not" comment/

> > The simple fact is, I disagree with your proposal, and you
> have made no
> > convincing arguments to change my mind. What you are
> suggesting is not
> > what 'most' windows installers do, it is not flexible, it is a step
> > backwards in approach, and a proper solution is not that hard to do!
> >
> What you are suggesting is akin to Windows installers run
> batch files in
> the background?

No, I've not mentioned batch files or shell scripts, just data driven
and interpretation.

> heard your point regarding the backend data-driven support,
> but lets be
> serious, that kind of functionality is months away.

I'm not talking backend at this point, just something contained in the
package that gets presented to the user in some fashion. It can be 100%
GUI without any complaints from me. After all - that is what the users
expect.

> Fine, how's this,
> I'll rip out
> the specific references to cygwin.bat and instead have setup
> parse the ini
> for what it should display in that last window and how many it should
> display.  This is how installishield and others do it.  How's
> that for a
> solution?

Much better. How about this tweak:
Packages extract a file - lets call it
'/var/setup/setup-shortcuts/packagename.icons

Parse that file for shortcut icons to offer to create. Each icon will
need:
* Name to give the shortcut
* Location to place it (i.e. %DESKTOP% | %STARTMENU%/subpath | / (to
place in cygwin root dir))
* Target to point to (i.e. /usr/X11R6/...

So a format like
===
"Name of shortcut1" "location of shortcut 1" "target or shortcut 1"
"Name of shortcut2" "location of shortcut 2" "target or shortcut 2"
===

Makes sense to me.

> Cheers,
> Nicholas
>
> P.S. My damn keyboard is dying...  Also, do I need a debug version of
> setup.exe from you or will you be satisified with output from the
> non-debug version?

Uhmm, I'm building a debug version for you at the moment.

Rob