Re: New xlauncher (was: Re: Success with Java prog in XFree)

On Mon, 15 Jul 2002 12:08 am, Ralf Habacker wrote:
> > This is a great idea. I was thinking of using a language/toolkit that I
> > could compile on my Linux box, as it it my main development machine.
> > Delphi isn't too bad, as it (sort of) works under wine. The only problem
> > was the compiled code didn't run under wine very well. It would be cool
> > to be able to use it under linux/unix (hadn't thought of XNest though).
>
> What about qt ? It is available for windows and for unix/linux.

Just been to the TrollTech website.  The windows version of Qt is not fully
GPL compatible.  See
http://www.trolltech.com/developer/download/qt-win-noncomm.html.

Based on my interpretation of this discussion, I would say that that would
rule out any xlauncher made with Qt for Windows from being distributed by
setup.exe.  The site also states that it requires MS Visual Studio v6,
although my guess is that it could be used with gcc, but would probably take
more work.

OTOH, wxWindows (http://www.wxwindows.org) is fully GPL compatible.  And for
those of us that are not C or C++ experts, there is wxPython
(http://www.wxpython.org) with an open-source IDE
(http://boa-constructor.sourceforge.net/) which is suprisingly useable
despite the version number (0.1) - although I'd suggest the CVS version.

Rasjid.