Re: New (Delphi) xlauncher

Harold L Hunt II wrote:
Dennis Foreman wrote:

At one point in history, (before WW II) the head of the US Patent Office
said he wanted to close the office because everything that needed to be
invented had already been invented and there was nothing left the world
needed. He had obviously not yet heard about the need for penicillin or
cardiac by-passes.

Harold:
What about platforms YOU never heard of or don't use????? (I have one. And I
may very well be interested in the Xlauncher for it.)

Okay, I will start working on that cross-platform registry editor right away!

Harold

Hey, while we are at it, why don't we rewrite the Cygwin setup.exe program to be cross platform so that it can run on Mac OS X?!?

Point: some things are so incredibly simple that making a customized version for one platform and letting others worry about other platforms is fine.

Obviously, most people here are not considering that the graphics api is only a small part of the effort required to make a cross-platform X launcher. For starters, each X server, including Xnest and XWin, has some server-specific command-line parameters that are not included in other servers. For XWin, we have -engine, -screen, -scrollbars, -lesspointer, etc. If you really wanted to make a cross-platform X launcher, then you would have to do some of the following:

1) Create some sort of method for storing the names of each command-line parameter, descriptions of what it does, options that it takes, etc.

2) Write a parser for the parameter description file, or include some generic parser, like an XML-based parser.

3) Write a heck of a lot of code that either:
a) Loads the appropriate parameter-picking window from a list of windows that were defined and drawn at compile time
b) Uses hints in the parameter description file to automatically draw controls for each of the defined parameters.

4) Do I need to go on?

Writing a Cygwin/XFree86-specific X launcher in C and using the Windows GDI for drawing graphics would maybe take 40 hours. Writing a cross-platform super-neato X luancher would take about 500 hours.

Want to prove me wrong? Then code me into submission.

Until then, I am the supreme ruler of all programmers! Bow down to me! Bow down!

Just kidding.

You know, the real problem here is that some people are getting all dreamy eyed talking about which cross-platform toolkit to choose, when they haven't even thought about how difficult and impractical it would be to create a cross platform X launcher. Sure, we can talk all day about which toolkit is better, but that doesn't mean that anyone is actually taking any steps towards creating a cross-platform X launcher.

Example: Joe says, ``Hey, I'm going to build the next F-23 fighter for the US Air Force. Which engine should I use, Pratt and Whitney or GE?''. Tom replies, ``I like GE for their reliabiltiy, but man is that P&W powerful! I would use the P&W''. Harold hears this and interjects, ``Bullshit. Joe, *you* are not building the F-23 fighter.''

If anyone wants to further discuss a cross-platform X launcher, please create a project for a cross-platform X launcher and take your dicussion to that project's mailing list. Further discussion of a cross-platform X launcher is not relevant to this mailing list.