From: cygwin-xfree-owner@cygwin.com
[mailto:cygwin-xfree-owner@cygwin.com]On Behalf Of Stuart Adamson
Sent: Tuesday, July 23, 2002 5:14 AM
To: cygwin-xfree@cygwin.com
Subject: RE: problems with XFree

> From: Dennis Foreman [mailto:dforeman@stny.rr.com]

> I have discovered differences in the
> parameters for
> xterm between Xfree and my SunOS system. Some Xfree
> parameters are deemed
> invalid on SunOS.  Some SunOS parameters don't exist in
> xterm.

XWin is the cygwin port of XFree86.  I wouldn't expect XFree86 or the
utilities to be command line compatable with OpenWindows.

I would expect Xfree86/cygwin and utilities to be command line compatable
as far as possible with XFree86 on other platforms however.

> Some don't
> work the same way, and some don't work on the cygwin as described in
> cygwin's man pages (if I read the man pages correctly, -sb
> for instance is
> supposed to take an integer argument, but doesn't).

Is this xterm you are talking about?  If so you're reading the man page
wrongly.
The command line you want is "xterm -sb -sl 1000"  where 1000 is the number
of
lines to save.  The -sb just enables the scroll bar (you can have a
scrolling xterm
without a scroll bar)

> Also,
> when I get an
> xfree error in cygwin, it says to type "xfree -help". Doing
> so produces an
> error.

Out of interest - how do you get this error message to appear? "xfree -help"
won't work because xfree isn't a program!

If you have any examples for XFree86/cygwin behaving differently than
XFree86 on
other platforms then please post them.   I'm guessing most will either have
a good
reason as to why they are different or be a slip or typo somewhere which
will be easy
to fix.

Granted, the XWin man page is out of date now and could do with an update

Stuart