Re: problems with XFree

Harold L Hunt II wrote:
Sylvain Petreolle wrote:

Why not install a file in /etc/profile.d ?

Sylvain,

I am not sure why we didn't use /etc/profile.d. I remember discussing it, but when I searched the mailing list archives using the search function at the top of the archive page, all I got was a bunch of spam messages that I don't recall ever seeing on the mailing list (at least not on the dates mentioned). I will have to do a google search for profile.d on our site, but I haven't got time now. If you could do the search and summarize where the thread left off, that would be great.

I seem to remember that a profile.d would work for some cases, but it wouldn't work for all cases... but I cannot give a specific example (might be the archives as well).
There was some talk about that on this thread:
http://sources.redhat.com/ml/cygwin-xfree/2001-q2/threads.html#01549

There they say that the path to X should be set before any call to /etc/profile.d/* to be more Unix like (i.e. near the top of /etc/profile).

It was suggested to add
if ! echo $PATH | /bin/grep -q "/usr/X11R6/bin" ; then
PATH="$PATH:/usr/X11R6/bin"
fi

at the top of /etc/profile. The comment was:
"Now the stock Cygwin /etc/profile (unlike the Linux one)
actually sets a default PATH on the first line via

PATH="/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:$PATH"

Fortunately this puts the important system paths ahead of
anything already defined, so it's OK to add /usr/X11R6/bin at
the top."

Post "http://sources.redhat.com/ml/cygwin-xfree/2001-q2/msg01574.html"; is supposed to give a patch but I don't see it. Anyway, it was for the cygwin install (with the assumption that Cygwin/XFree would soon use Cygwin's setup). It's probably better to have a post-install script to do it

Jehan