Re: X11 backing store

> From huntharo@msu.edu Tue Jul 23 20:23:54 2002

> Cygwin/XFree86 has support for backing store, but it is not enabled by
> default.  You have to pass the ``+bs'' parameter to XWin.exe to enable
> backing store support:
>
> XWin +bs

I have tried this before but forgot mentioning it. For the program considered
(plotting a moving bar diagram) this works, but only in a part of the window.
Beside this, the whole X screen behaves strangely, with changes (e.g., the
WM menu) appearing ghostlike only in the surrounding of the mouse pointer.

> I have seen various posting that seem to indicate that backing store
> support is not trusted anymore... perhaps it is no longer being
> maintained.

Well, one should not rely too much on backing store, but on other servers,
it works sufficiently well.