Re: Fw: Problem with Windows95 and XFree

On Wed, 31 Jul 2002, frederic bregier wrote:

> Well, it seems that you'r right.
> In the w95 box, I got the following :
> OS Version: Windows 9x 4.0 Build 67306684  B
> Querying devices using ioctl
> lo: family=TCP/IP (0) addr=127.0.0.1
> Querying devices using internal function
> lo: family=TCP/IP (0) addr=127.0.0.1

Hm, does not give me much information :(

Can you please send me the windows registry keys
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Enum\Network\MSTCP
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Class
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Class\Net

open the registry editor, choose export from the file menu and enter the
above strings in the field where the subtree is chosen.

I also upload a slightly modified version of the ls_netdev program
which prints at least some of the rgistry keys while traversing the tree.
Can you please download and run it and send me the output again.

> So it is the case you noticed.
> With the other Windows box, I got the
> real IP address with this command.

Win95 uses some wierd hunt-through-registry to gather all information
on the installed network interfaces. Microsoft has developed a library
which simplifies this hunt. I guess it's in the winsock2 update.
http://www.microsoft.com/windows95/downloads/contents/WUAdminTools/S_WUNetworkingTools/W95Sockets2/Default.asp

> Why does cygwin1.dll try to get the IP address
> since I passed the -from option in the command
> line of XWin. It should use this address
> and ignore the cygwin1.dll request in this case, shouldn't it ?

No. The from parameter is only needed to find the correct interface if
more than one interface is found. The system call also gets some extra
information as broadcast address and network mask.

bye
	ago
 http://www.gotti.org           ICQ: 126018723