Re: a small problem

On Sun, 18 Aug 2002 12:34:40 +0530 (IST)
"Rahul Amaram-RollNo.2000086" <rahul@gdit.iiit.net> wrote:

> Hi Jim,
> 	I've checked it out! There is no firewall present! Could u think
> of any other factors???
> 				Rahul.
>

> On Sun, 18 Aug 2002, Jim George wrote:
>
> > On Sat, 17 Aug 2002 22:21:05 +0530 (IST)
> > "Rahul Amaram-RollNo.2000086" <rahul@gdit.iiit.net> wrote:
> >
> > > I am facing this problem whenever I connect to a remote system in linux
> > > and try exporting DISPLAY to the Xserver running on my local PC in
> > > windows. The details are below.
> > >
> > > 	First my pc is running cygwin-Xserver in Windows.
> > >
> > > 	Next I telnet to a remote machine in linux and run the command
> > > 		export DISPLAY=mypc_ip:0.0
> > >
> > > 	Now when I run a command like
> > > 		xterm &
> > >
> > > 	I get the following message
> > > 		Cant connect to mypc_ip:0.0
> > > 		Xlib: No protocol specified
> > >

> > > 	Please note that I have already run 'xhost +' in startxwin file so
> > > that I give permission to all clients to access the Xserver.
> > >

> > > 	Could someone please help me out!!!
> > >
> > > 							Rahul.
> > Rahul,
> >
> > 	at first sight this looks like a firewall issue.  You appear to have X disabled.
> >
> > Jim
> >

> --
Rahul,

	if it wasn't the firewall...are you able to run X applications on your local server?

	Try starting X using startxwin.sh or .bat then run xeyes or something from your xterm.

	What do you get when you echo $DISPLAY on your cygwin X-Server?
	What do you get when you echo $DISPLAY on your remote Linux system?
	Can you 'ping' mypc_ip from Linux?

Jim