Partial solution for nonUs keyboards with XDMCP to AIX, was: Using Cygwinto connect an AIX box. Questions for german, italian, french, spanish[...] users

Eh, very funny :-I

OK, I looked into that problem in last days and I believe I found partial
solution. The problem is that AIX uses modifier Mod2 for AltGT (linux uses
Mod3, I think - but not sure).
 So this works for my Czech keyboard:

I changed following files:
/etc/X11/xkb/symbols/us
     in section generic101 i removed following lines:
    modifier_map Mod2   { Num_Lock };
    modifier_map Mod5   { Scroll_Lock };
the first disables NumLock ability to lock AltGr. The second was removed
when during experiments - may be it's not necessary.

/etc/X11/xkb/symbols/cz
     in section basic I changed
    modifier_map Mod2   { <RALT> };

(I think originally it was Mod3)
this enables AltGr to behave correctly.

Then I generated new /tmp/cz.xkm file using xkbcomp and add it tu command
line parameters.

But I have still problems with NumLock and numeric keypad - during login,
it doesn't work (behaves odd, but switchnig NumLock causes little changes),
when logged on, it is hard locked to produce numbers.

I tried to set NumLock to Mod5 (It looks to be correct for AIX), but it
didn't work.

One more thing - probably to Harold - Caps Locks works correctly, but
doesn't change state of the Caps Lock LED. Is this because change of LED
state is not implemented in Cygwin, or is it bug, or what? (Note I'm not
requesting fix for that, I'm just curious :-)

I don't really understand xkb principles, so I don't know if everything I
wrote above is correct. But it works...

If  you have any comments or ideas of solutions, please send it.

Pavel

                    Nicholas Wourms
                    <nwourms@yahoo.com>        To:     cygwin-xfree@cygwin.com
                    Sent by:                   cc:
                    cygwin-xfree-owner@        Subject:     Re: Using Cygwin to connect an AIX box. Questions for german, italian, french,
                    cygwin.com                 spanish [...] users

                    27.08.2002 21:37
                    Please respond to
                    cygwin-xfree

> I know that Alt Gr problems were under the spotligth in the past
> and there
> is
> probably no solution since it seems to be an aix related problem,
> but I
> wanted
> to ask people using non-qwerty keyboards what solution do they
> adopted (if
> the
> did'nt give up) ?

Use English