Re: building XFree86 from cvs

Hi Folks,

I took the plunge and installed. My first thought was "er, it don't
work". Some notes for the record before I forget them...

Debug build:
"makeg.sh install" strips targets. Perhaps not all but it is passing
"-s" to 'install'.

Installation (debug or normal):
"make" does indeed relink (some) targets without apparent cause. Ditto
on installation which of course has the potential to fail on (say) a bad
foo<->foo.exe dependency.

Last is the show-stopper. Trivial but "install -s" got me side-tracked:
I've seen DLL's fail to load when stripped so went off on a wild
goosechase when confronted with "c0000022" dialogs. XWin would start
(we're invoking inside bash here) but all apps produced those
undebuggable c0000022 accessed-denied dialogs(*). Solution trivial:
installed DLL's require execute permissions. doh! However it may be that
Setup could end up installing non-executable DLL's?

(*)
I dragged out a demo of W32dsm87 disassembler and exercised my
non-existent Intel asm knowledge. Looks like we never get to program
entry - only kernel32.dll loads: it must check perms on the bound DLL's
then barfs. Couldn't work this backward because kernel32.dll vanishes
leaving W32dsm87 staring at invalid memory.

oh, I noticed "-L/usr/X11R6/lib" being passed. By design or should it be
made to vanish?

--
swamp-dog@ntlworld.com