Re: XFree86 Wont work on windows 98

On Tue, 3 Sep 2002 9:28 pm, John Proctor wrote:
> Hi I cant get the X server (Xfree86) to connect to my Suse v8 Box,
> I have installed XFree86 on 19 machines which use NT4, using the default
> cygwin setup/install program and these all work great by typing the
> following command:
> $XWin -query server.ip.address
> But when I performed the same installation on the one Windows 98 box and
> tried the above command the X-window appeared but wouldn't connect to the
> SuSE box as the others did.
>
> The Windows 98 pc is on the same network (class C) and is listed in the
> /etc/host file but try as a may I cant get it to connect.  Any help would
> be greatly appreciated John Proctor.

Have you tried using the -from paramater?  In my experience, Windows 98 is
more likely to have empty interfaces sitting around.

Run 'ipconfig' from a command (dos) prompt.

Also, check out Alexander's ls_netdev utility to help diagnose any problems.
http://www-user.tu-chemnitz.de/~goal/?jump=xfree

The latter uses the same code as cygwin to detect the interfaces.

Cheers,

Rasjid.