Newbie Question - Rendering problems

Hello.  I'm new to xfree under cygwin and I'm having some problems with
displaying remote X applications.  Some windows fail to render the bottom and
right sides of the application.  The un-rendered areas are simply solid grey.
This happens in varying degrees depending on the application.

Is this a refresh rate problem?  If so, what is the proper refresh setting?
Is this according to the monitor specs? If not, any other ideas what might be
causing this problem?

Thanks for the help.

Scott

"Just a mirror for the sun...
 My smiling eyes are just a mirror for the sun."