Re: Starting cygwin problem

Hi Igor,

Igor Pechtchanski wrote:

On Sun, 15 Sep 2002, Stephen Liu wrote:

 Hi All Folks,

I have Cygwin installed on a WinXP PC which linked to LTSP server,
working as a diskless workstartion and a standand alone PC as well. The
PC has 2 NICs, one of which is mounted with a boot-rom and connected to
LTSP server and another to Internet.

Starting WinXP by selecting 'LOCAL' when turned on the PC

Clicking 'Cygwin' icon on desktop, The shell window popup

I have no name!@M40G ~
$ cygstart
Usage: cygstart [-a STRING] [d- STRING]..........
..........[OPTION]... FILE [ARGUMENTS]

I have no name!@M40G ~
$ hostname [ENTER]
M40G [is the name of the PC/computer]

I have no name!@M40G ~
$ X -query 192.168.0.254 [ENTER] (IP Add of LTSP server)

started an empty "Cygwin/XFree86 window

Kindly advise how to make them connected

Thanks in advance.

Stephen Liu

Mmm...  Cygwin is a UNIX emulation environment under windows.  You got
yourself a UNIX shell prompt.  Technically, you've started Cygwin. :-)
What exactly are you trying to start again?

I need to run Linux on WinXP side by side.

If my guess is correct, and you're trying to start an X session on
Cygwin/XFree86, try running startx, and search the cygwin-xfree mailing
list archives for details: http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-xfree/
X-related questions should be addressed there.
	Igor

I searched "startx" and "start X session" but could not find some answer/question relevant.

Thanks in advance.

Stephen