Re: Installing cygwin in windowsXP - HELP!

deepak s patwardhan wrote:

> Hi,
> I almost always work on linux, but presently I am forced to work on
> windowsXP for sometime. So, I decided to install cygwin.
> I downloaded the packages myself from one of the mirror sites on a
> linux machine in my lab and copied onto my PC (instead of letting the
> setup.exe download it because the net connection on my PC is very slow).
>
> Now when I try to install cygwin, I give the directory where the packages
> are kept, the setup starts and does something for sometime, but then gets
> stuck and windows very nicely says that setup has encountered a problem
> and needs to close.
>
> I tried some tricks like looking at the problem causing package and
> removed that from the package directory and agina trying the setup, and I
> tried this many times with many packages. I tried to run the program in
> windows98 compatibilty mode. But of no avail. It gets stuck somewhere or
> the other.
>
> Could anyone suggest a way out? (if any). Installing from internet is not
> an option as net connection is very slow.

I think what you have to take care of is to recreate the subdirectory
structure under "release", as they are on the mirrors you copy them from,
and not to forget the setup.ini and setup.bz2 files in the directory
containing "release".

That's the way I do and it works OK.

If you put all packages in the same directory, it does not work (it worked
with older versions of setup.exe, but not anymore)

Good luck

Bruno