Re: xwinclip - update and motif clipboard

Well according to the specs you're implementation is right. Own clipboard manager and grab the clipboard when it's been selected, then own it again. It doesn't seem to work with Motif though. No biggy, primary works v. well.

That's good to know, but why doesn't it work when we do it according >to the
spec? :)
Motif does some wierd clipboard antics and completely breaks the way it should work. Basically it stores all the entries under the root window as properties (xprop can show them). There is a kde app called klipper that handles the two properly but it involves making xwinclip an xt application for the xm stuff to work.

Like Chris said it's suprising you can reply at all, and much appreciated.

No problem, I don't want people to think that I have given up or anything.
Like I said, it's much appreciated, I've been busy this week with various things but I've still checked the list so it's a very good feeling to see such a reply.

which you can view via XFree86's cvsweb). Or, you could blindly reimplement
the ClipBoard chain support...

Honestly I'm tempted to do that, purely because it offers the oppurtunity to have a bit more of a play. The ultra2 that was going to occupy my time just "blew a fuse" so I'm back to the free time.

It would probably be a good idea to allow the app to work with multiple XWin
sessions. But, are you doing everything properly, such as giving each XWin
window a different display number and telling each instance of xwinclip which
display to connect to?

I'm doing that properly (although a new app starts in the old display). The problem is I'm looking for a window that says Cygwin/XFree86 which of course they all will say. It may need code in XWin to provide a differentiation of window title mentioning the display number (and env variable) or something similar. Otherwise you don't know which XWin display has lost/gained focus and which to start the xwinclip operations on.

I think that would also be usefull for XWin in multiple windows as well. The user would be able to see which goes where. Possibly a user additional title as well such as "linux box" or "sun box" etc.

In short how do you know which "Cygwin/XFree86" window is the one xwinclip is started for (x wise it's DISPLAY) but windows wise?

Chris