right 1/4 of XWin.exe window displays white bar instead of graphics on wide display

Hi,

I am trying to use Cygwin/XFree86 as an X server on my PC so that I can
remote-display my hpux box.  When I start up X, I get a window that fills my
entire screen, but I only see the cursor and thatch background pattern on
the left 3/4 of the window; the right 1/4 of the window is white, and if I
move the cursor over it, the cursor disappears.

My setup:
NVIDIA Quadro4 900XGL w/ 128MB, dual monitor
Win2k, SP3
either 2560x1024x32bpp or 3200x1200x32bpp

The /tmp/XWin.log file indicates that XWin.exe thinks it is using the whole
screen, and when I fire up gnome on my hpux box, it seems to think it has
the full XWin window to work with (but I can only see the left 3/4 of my
unix desktop).

My /tmp/XWin.log:
$ cat /tmp/XWin.log
winInitializeDefaultScreens - w 3200 h 1200
winInitializeDefaultScreens - Returning
_XSERVTransmkdir: Owner of /tmp/.X11-unix should be set to root
winDetectSupportedEngines - Windows NT/2000/XP
winDetectSupportedEngines - DirectDraw installed
winDetectSupportedEngines - Allowing PrimaryDD
winDetectSupportedEngines - DirectDraw4 installed
winDetectSupportedEngines - Returning, supported engines 0000001f
winSetEngine - Using Shadow DirectDraw NonLocking
winAdjustVideoModeShadowDDNL - Using Windows display depth of 32 bits per
pixel
winAdjustForAutoHide - Original WorkArea: 0 2 1172 3200
winAdjustForAutoHide - Found LEFT auto-hide taskbar
winAdjustForAutoHide - Adjusted WorkArea: 0 3 1172 3200
winCreateBoundingWindowWindowed - WindowClient w 3191 h 1147 r 3191 l 0 b
1147 t 0
winCreateBoundingWindowWindowed -  Returning
winAllocateFBShadowDDNL - lPitch: 12764
winFinishScreenInitFB - Masks: 00ff0000 0000ff00 000000ff
winInitVisualsShadowDDNL - Masks 00ff0000 0000ff00 000000ff BPRGB 8 d 24 bpp
32
winCreateDefColormap - Deferring to fbCreateDefColormap ()
winScreenInit - returning

I can't figure out how to tell what version of XWin.exe I have installed,
but I just grabbed it a week or two ago, and 'man XWin' has a "4.2.0" at the
bottom, so it should be up-to-date.

By playing around with the -screen option, I have determined that the
maximum width I can get without the white bar appearing is 2040 or 2041
pixels.

The interesting thing is that I can get a full dual-monitor display (without
the white bar) if I go into window's Display
Properties->Settings->Advanced->Troubleshooting and move the hardware
acceleration slider to a position that disables directdraw/direct3d.

Has anyone successfully run Cygwin/XFree86 on a display wider than 2040
pixels with directx enabled?  On an NVIDIA card?  ATI card?  I updated my
drivers to the latest and greatest, and it made no difference.  I can
successfully run ReflectionX (commercial X server) full screen on my dual
monitor setup (I assume that uses directx also, so I am not convinced it is
just my video card), but I haven't been all that happy with ReflectionX.

Any help would be appreciated.

Andrew

https://ecardfile.com/id/Andrew+Gouldey