Re: wmaker signal 11

On 14 Oct, Harold L Hunt II wrote:
>  Did I build the wmaker package?  I am guessing that I did... in that
>  case, I should be linking automode.o with the wmaker executable so that
>  we are not dependent upon binary mounts.  Any objections?
>
>  Harold

Maybe ...

I made a patch for WM that made sure to open all the files in binary
mode.  As far as I understand it, this means that that whether or not
the file system is mounted as binary or text, the WM config files would
always be written out in binary mode (i.e. just LF, no CR-LF).

This patch was accepted into the post- wm 0.80.1 development version by
the WM developers.  SO I'd expect it to be fine when the next version
is released.

Would automode.o help or hinder all this?  Note also that the config
files are written out by the config program WPrefs, as well as by doing
a Save Session from WM.

What my WM patch does *not* fix is files that have been modified
outside WM, and somehow get CR-LF line endings.  *That* would be
guaranteed to crash WM still.

BTW, I currently have a temporary workaround for the problem - a WM
exitscript that trims off the CRs.

Might be worth mentioning my home page that tries to make Cygwin
installation easy for novice users, coincidentally updated last night:
http://members.optushome.com.au/lukekendall/xwin-network.html

The post-install.sh script is quite nice, I think.  I'd welcome
comments and feedback about any of the above info.

   NOTE: don't run post-install.sh with the "-fresh" option that is
         recommended for new users if you already have your home
         directory set up.  It does a mount -t $CYGDRIVE:\\home /home
         which might hide your existing home directory!

We use a modified form of this to install Cygwin on all the Windows PCs
at work now.  It's taken years to get the okay to do this, and for
Cygwin or U/Win to be as beautifully capable as they now are.

Regards,

luke