Re: x-server with window-manager

Sven,

For future reference, Cygwin/XFree86 is not in any way based on Xnest.

Also, what you are trying to accomplish has nothing to do with whether a window is created by a local X client or by a remote X client with X11 forwarding.

Now, to answer your question, yes, there is preliminary support for a so-called ``rootless''. However, this ``rootless'' mode still requires an X Window Manager. That is, X clients do not appear within a Windows window, they appear within an X window, but the root window is not displayed so it looks like the X apps are floating above your Windows apps.

The release announcement for the ``rootless'' support is here:
http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-xfree/2002-10/msg00160.html

Also, I posted a slightly faster binary, Test 67, that you can download instead of Test 66:
http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-xfree/2002-10/msg00188.html

Or, you can wait a day or two and I will make an official Test 67 release announcement and you can just download that version then.

Harold

Sven Köhler wrote:

I realize that English is probably not your native language, but could
you elaborate on your question a little bit?  I cannot understand what
you are asking.

Is there a project, that is developing a x-server that has an integrated window-manager so that x-forwarded windows will appear like ms-windows' native ones?

I think cygwin's current x-server is based on Xnest so that all the x-forwarded windows will appear within one big window which is my "XFree"-Desktop and they do not seamlessly integrate into the ms-windows-desktop.