Re: Cannot start X server

I was having the exact same problem starting X under the newest Cygwin
release.  I also found this very frustrating as I have been running X for
quite some time with no problems, then *boom* it suddenly broke.

One option that worked for me was to downgrade to the previous version of
the DLL (backout 1.3.13-2 to 1.3.12-4).  This is simple to do using the
setup program but is not a long-term solution.

I am not an expert on this, but some research revealed that 1.3.13-2 has
turned on the "ntsec" option by default.  If your computer is in an NT
domain, this affects you.  To check, compare the UID/GID reported by your
"id -a" command with the ownership of your existing files "ls -ln $HOME".

If they don't match, you need to update your /etc/passwd and/or /etc/group
files.  You can do this by replacing the <yourusername> entry in
/etc/passwd with the output of "mkpasswd -d -u <yourusername>" and
updating /etc/group with the output of "mkgroup -d | grep :<yourGID>:"
(note that the angled brackets are meant to indicate variables and are not
literally part of the commands).

This is not really an XFree problem, rather it is a global Cygwin issue
caused by a policy change that took most people by surprise.

Hope that fixes your particular problem,
Andy