Re: Uses for Cygwin/XFree86

Chris,

There are 139 executables in the /usr/X11R6/bin directory of my installation. Granted, most of them are just X and XFree86 utilities and elementary components, but it's more than just XTerm and XEyes.

I've compiled the NCAR graphics environment (version 4.2.3) under Cygwin/XFree86.

Somewhere along the line I picked up xfig, but I can't remember where (it's not listed as a part of the Cygwin distribution). Ahh, there we go: <http://xfree86.cygwin.com/ported-software.html>. That must be where I got it. Look there for other contributed software. OpenDX looks cool.

Also try this page: <http://lassauge.free.fr/cygwin/> (<http://lassauge.free.fr/cygwin/en_cygwin.htm> for English).

What sort of applications are you looking for? What do you wish you had that you don't?

I don't know for what purposes others use this "very powerful tool," but it's an integral part of my plan for world domination.

Randall Schulz
Mountain View, CA USA