From: Igor Pechtchanski [mailto:pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu]
Sent: Thursday, October 31, 2002 4:43 PM
To: john_staroba@agilent.com
Cc: cygwin@cygwin.com; cygwin-xfree@cygwin.com
Subject: Re: Environment windows not opening

On Thu, 31 Oct 2002 john_staroba@agilent.com wrote:

I just installed cygwin without any trouble. The command prompt window
appears to be working fine, as does the vi editor. When attempting to
launch an xwindow, only the main window will open and the system
apparently hangs. Prompt window displays
..
..
..
..
until you close the main xwindow, and then displays:

giving up.
xinit: No such file or directory <errno 2>: unable to connect to X server
xinit: No such process <errno 3>: Server error.

I'm running win NT. Any ideas on what to do?

Yes. Run an X server. For details, see http://xfree86.cygwin.com/
If you have problems, please direct any queries to the cygwin-xfree list
(I set the Reply-To: field to it, and also Cc'd this message there).
Igor