Re: XWin.exe crashes

On Mon, 4 Nov 2002 8:39 pm, Lisi wrote:
> At 09:46 PM 11/3/02 +0100, Sven Köhler wrote:

> >you can use setup.exe to change back from textmode to binmode, but the
> >problem is, that most of the programs won't be abled to read the
> >text-files they've writte in textmode.
>
> How would I do this with setup? Which option is this, and do I have to
> reinstall everything (i.e. Cygwin, XFree86, individual packages, etc)?

Just go through the normal install questions (probably best to choose your
local cache as the Download Source), and choose 'Default Text File Type' =
'Unix'.  At 'Select Packages' make sure you don't remove or add any packages.

Setup will then proceed to install zero packages, but change the default mount
mode for you.

> >Christopher Faylor always suggests linking with binmode.o - and i would
> >recomm that too, for the KDE-cygwin project. i don't know, why they don't
> >do it - perhaps because binmode.o is too unknown yet.
> >
> >but to request, that the user runs cygwin in binmode is not always
> >possible, because migrating back from text- to binmode takes much time
> >(you have to convert every text-file)
>
> Once it's been switched back to binmode, would files written after that be
> in binmode as well?

Yes.  So files written with vi under cygwin will not look so good in notepad.

> Or would I continue to have a conflict?

As Sven says, you will now possibly have the problem that files created while
in text mode may not be able to be read correctly.

Rasjid.